Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Solitaire


I admit it. I’m addicted. I’m a Solitaire junkie.


Solitaire was the first card game my dad taught me. I learned it the “old-fashioned” way, with cards. I remember playing for hours. I wanted to win the game. I would “see” the card I need and try everything in my power to make that card appear.


Today, I typically play the game on my phone, although now I’m the one teaching my boys the “old-fashioned” way. There is just something about the feel of the cards, counting, flipping, moving them around on the table or floor that makes it all the more fun.


Now, though, I play the game to wind down from the day.  It’s not all about winning the game, even though that is a nice, added bonus! While I love reading, writing, or tweeting late in the evening, I have found that would keep my mind racing well into the wee hours of the night. After reading a chapter in a great book, I would find myself jumping up out of bed with a thought or idea, and never really making it back to the sound sleep I once had before.


There would be evenings as well where I was so tired that I found myself falling asleep with my computer on my lap, or the book folded up in my hands. I was not giving the attention or thought to what I was doing if I was in that state of mind either.


So, about 4-5 months ago, right before bed, instead of picking up a book or turning on my laptop, I flipped on my phone and found Solitaire. Just 5 minutes of iPhone Solitaire did the trick to put my mind at rest from school thoughts so that I could get a better night’s sleep.


Sleep is still too short, but now, I am not waking in the middle of the night to a thought or idea I just read. I am not still contemplating a Twitter chat topic or blog post. While all of these are awesome and amazing, and I still glean so much from them, I have discovered that just 5 minutes of winding down is imperative to help me clear my mind. Mindful leadership begins with taking care of oneself. If I don’t do this as a leader, I am not at my best for those around me.


Whether it is an iPhone game of Solitaire, or another activity for someone else, every person needs to find their niche to wind down from the day. Our days are busy. Our minds race. My to-do list grows. But unless I find a moment to calm from it all, my anxiety soars and productivity plummets.


Just 5 minutes is all it takes. And each morning when I wake up for a new day, my Solitaire addiction is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment